Saturday, August 11, 2012

Goodbye to the Educational Development Centre at Otago Polytechnic...

Those of you who are kind enough to follow my blog will have noticed that I haven't written many posts over the last couple of months. This has in part been because I have been faced with some difficult life choices, largely in connection with my job.

My job at Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin was disestablished back in June. I was offered the opportunity to apply for newly-created jobs, either as a staff developer, or an online technical support-type person. However, both jobs failed to include any teaching or research, which I felt would be a backward step in terms of my career as an academic. And I did not want to become a technology back-end support person.

At the same time, I was made aware of a position that had just become available, which I applied for - professional officer for the Australian College of Midwives in Canberra, Australia. This job had my name all over it because it was working to develop midwifery in Australia, support midwives, develop education programs, manage the ACM social media, and so on. I am very pleased to say I have got the job, and actually started work in Canberra this week. 

Needless to say, I am extremely sorry to leave Otago Polytechnic after all these years. I have learned so much from my colleagues, especially in the School of Midwifery, and the Educational Development Centre. This new job moves me away from academia, so I will have to think about how I keep doing the research work that I love in this new environment, and maintain my teaching and learning skills, and education connections. 

So for the time being, I wish to thank the wonderful team I have been working with over the last few years for all their love and support: Catherine Lindsay, Heather Day, Terry Marlar, Maxine Alterio, Kate Timms-Dean, Ron Bull, Peter Brook, Veronique Olin and Bronwyn Hegarty - you guys really are the best!! I will miss you more than you will know.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

All the best with your next steps. The future is unwritten (Joe Strummer), but you can bring your own pen and make each chapter yours!

Sarah Stewart said...

Thanks Nigel...a lovely quote to keep me going. Am feeling a little tearful as I go over this, so any kind of "pick me up" is gratefully received.

Carolyn said...

Seems we keep saying goodbye. keep in touch. I look forward to hearing about your new life in Canberra.
Things just the same here. spending the weekend trying to get some marking done.

Sarah Stewart said...

We'll never lose touch, Carolyn, not when we can "spy" on each other on FB :)

Rikki Hoskins said...

Congratulations Sarah on your wonderful new position. It must have been a wrench to leave but now you have a fresh start and you certainly won't miss Dunedin weather! All the best over there; you will have a lot to offer Australia.

Sarah Stewart said...

Thank you so much, Rikki. I will miss Dunedin hugely, but as you say, it's very exciting to get my teeth into a fresh challenge. It will be lovely to be immersed in midwifery again.

Joy Johnston said...

Sarah I know that there's a bunch of Australian midwives who 'know' you through your blogs and the IDM webinar, and we are looking forward to your unwritten future in ACM.

Sarah Stewart said...

Thank you, Joy. Funnily enough, I was thinking of you the other day...hopefully going to be working with you in the near future...will be in touch in September when I get back from my current travels.